Monastero del Castello represents an extraordinary real estate opportunity, one of the few of its kind which still exist in the world.
The property dates back to the early 1500s and is on the top of a prominent hill in the historic village of Buggiano Castello, located in the province of Pistoia within Tuscany.
Built after the Church which is adjacent to it, and which dates back to approximately 1000 AD, Monastero del Castello is a place full of history and charm, and also benefits from a number of truly exceptional logistical and climatic characteristics.
Thanks to the ownership, great care has been taken over the years in its perfect preservation, the property retains its original beauty and can be easily converted into a hotel, private residence or luxury condominiums.


1 | An ancient village of extraordinary beauty
2 | A property of great charm and comfort
3 | Lush gardens
4 | Evocative of an ancient church
5 | A place that instills well being
6 | A mild climate all year round
7 | A strategic position in the heart of Italy

1) An ancient village of extraordinary beauty

Monastero del Castello is located in Buggiano Castello, a small village of ancient origins, and a jewel of Italian architectural heritage.
While it is a few kilometres from Montecatini Terme and only fifty kilometres from Florence, Monastero del Castello has preserved its original appearance: a cluster of medieval stone buildings dating back to the eleventh century surrounded by narrow streets which protect the edifice from traffic and noise.
Thanks to its dominant position on the top of a hill, the property offers a breathtaking panorama of Valdinievole and right from Monastero del Castello you can enjoy an amazing view of the surrounding hills. The positive feelings that one experiences are many, especially great serenity: this is an ideal place for a resort or a residence dedicated to relaxation, regeneration, training or reflection.

2) A property of great charm and comfort

Over the years, Monastero del Castello in Buggiano Castello has been the object of careful maintenance work and consolidation. The renovation work that has been carried out recently, has been to update and prepare the property for future use.
The Superintendent of Cultural and Artistic Heritage's directives have focused primarily on the property's exterior, which the ownership has strived to preserve the original beauty and uniqueness as much as possible, as these qualities are essential to the continued integration of the property in the general context of the village. For the interior, however, projects were undertaken primarily to optimize the available space, in order to obtain flexible environments depending on the needs of the future buyer.
Currently, the planned structure is subdivided into 19 apartments/suites of various sizes, which are available for finishing , furnishing and lighting projects. The current ownership has also already completed the construction of a large parking lot reserved for guests of the Monastero.

3) Lush gardens

Monastero del Castello also includes a large area consisting of green terraced gardens. Here, the reconstruction and irrigation work has allowed us to create a wide open green area, which is in perfect harmony with the surrounding environment and adaptable to different uses.
Taking advantage of the terraces you can create spaces on multiple levels, which can be used in different ways (for decorative gardens, pergolas, orchards, etc.) and can be furnished and used for outdoor events. Careful design of the irrigation system also makes it possible to install pools and fountains.

4) Evocative of an ancient church

The area in what was once the Church and annexed to the Monastero, has been converted into a particularly spectacular space. As in a theatre, the ancient walls form the backdrop to an environment that, depending on your needs, can be used as a meeting and conference room, a wide open living space or a SPA by creating a highly suggestive path of multi-level pools and thermal baths (e.g., tepidarium, calidarium, bio sauna, thalassotherapy).
The large room, built from where the Church once was, can be seen from the upper gallery, and with great care and effort the restorers have brought back the its old-time charm, which now may also become another entrance to the structure. Adjacent to the Church is another large area which can be used for commercial activities such as a café, bar or any other culinary activity and service intended for clients/residents. This space, which is surrounded by walls and original vaults, can be otherwise transformed into a living area, gym, etc.

5) A place that instills well being

The restoration and renovation carried out have preserved the original beauty and uniqueness of the Monastero, which perfectly matches the atmosphere of the historic village of Buggiano Castello. One gets a feeling of great serenity and harmony, aided by the beautiful scenery and lack of traffic, making the property ideal for a resort or a prestigious residential complex and where you can experience a rejuvenating yet relaxing stay.
In this context water plays a fundamental role, in particular that of a local natural spring called Bonacura, to which healing and energizing properties have been attributed in the past Do not forget that Buggiano Castello is only 5 km from Montecatini Terme, a famous thermal spa particularly appreciated by foreign tourists.

6) A mild climate all year round

Another special feature makes Buggiano Castello an ideal destination: its micro climate. The historic village benefits from a favourable and mild climate throughout the year: this allows the growth of citrus fruits to flourish, which has not only earned the area the title of "Citrus Village", but permits the cultivation of horticultural gardens, representing an amazing historical and botanical patrimony. Right here, every two years in May, an exhibition is organized by the Italian Environmental Fund (FAI) during which the public can visit private gardens, which thanks to the micro climate, are particularly rich and lush.

7) A strategic position in the heart of Italy

So near and yet so secluded and protected: this is another great advantage of Monastero del Castello. It's easy to get there: take the Montecatini Terme exit or the Chiesina Uzzanese exit off the A11 motorway and continue on the Romana county road, which climbs the hill surrounded by olive groves.
You can start out every day from Buggiano Castello to discover the many places of interest that dot the surrounding area, perhaps by bicycle, or by walking along one of the many hiking trails that lead to medieval castles and villages. Otherwise, you can reach the best-known destinations and art cities of Tuscany: Montecatini is only 5 km away, Pistoia 20 km, Lucca 30 km, Florence 55 km, and Pisa 50 km. In half an hour's drive you can reach the beaches of Versilia and lively Viareggio or the exclusive locale Forte dei Marmi.
The international airport of Pisa is just 34 km away, while Florence's is 39 km away. In the heart of the Valdinievole, Buggiano Castello can count on a very strategic location, making it easily accessible and an ideal point of reference for those who love the authentic Tuscany.


Monastero del Castello rises up from the center of Buggiano Castello, a medieval village whose first stone buildings date back to the eleventh century. A real jewel of Italian architectural and historical heritage, this village has preserved the original charm and beauty of the past, with the Monastero being one of its most important facets. Founded around 1038 by the Castiglione and Maona nobility and dedicated to Saints Mary, Michael and Peter, the Monastero was originally smaller than it is today and for the first three centuries of the first millennium it was an important resting place for pilgrims who, having had to cross Valdinievole, visited Buggiano. It is precisely because of this function, unlike other monasteries built in the same period, that Monastero del Castello is not only composed of many small rooms, but also has large spaces that can accommodate many people. Fallen almost into ruins, most of the Monastero was rebuilt in the fifteenth century and enhanced with a beautiful cloister in the rustic Italian Renaissance style. This work, according to some scholars, is of Andrea Cavalcanti (1412 -1462), called "the Buggianino", a student of Brunelleschi. During the same period the church was built, the main door of which still shows the famous crest of the house of Ugo Marchese of Tuscany. Over the centuries, the abbey was gradually expanded. Studies carried out over the last few decades on different drawings have allowed us to trace the chronological order of all interventions performed, which starting from the Clock Tower (1510) have included: first the west side (the one that connects the tower to the Church), then the east side, and finally the north wing. According to the land appraisal in 1600, the Monastero was occupied by nuns or, more likely, by noblewomen who led a monastic life. In 1648 the Bishop of Pescia ordered them to be under the order of St. Benedict, imposing their seclusion. This change required some extension and adaptation work which was carried out in 1690, as evidenced by the related expense documents. Approximately a century later, in 1798, following an edict of Leopoldo di Toscana, the monasteries were abolished and the nuns expelled. On this occasion, the Monastero was entrusted to the Benedictine Monks of the Abbey of Buggiano. Soon after that Napoleon descended into Italy, ordering the sale of all church property, and within a few years the Monastery of Buggiano was auctioned. The wealthy Magnani family in Pescia purchased it in 1816, and decided to subdivide it and rent it out to various families. This lasted until 1866, when they decided to sell it to Don Pellicci, a priest of the Pescia cathedral. Don Pellicci first used it as his summer residence, then he sold it to a community of the Order of Friars Minor (Franciscans), who undertook work on the extension and maintenance of the structure to adapt it to the new requirements. In almost ten years, the monks constructed new dormitories, a new dining hall and even a new well. Other works were carried out about twenty-five years later, in 1908. The architect Pacini, who was devoted to the Liberty Art Nouveau style, managed this work and intervened mainly in the church. Then, probably after the earthquake of 1911 in Garfagnana, other maintenance work was required that did not impact the structure. In 1912 the Monastero was rented by the Franciscans to the Santa Giustina Benedictine nuns of Lucca, who remained there until 1970.


The current ownership has restructured Monastero del Castello always adhering to good architectural precepts and respecting the urban context that surrounds it. The work carried out has pursued the following objectives:
preservation and enhancement of the original historical tracks;
modification and replacement of those elements that, from the studies conducted, are spurious or are the result of previously ill-considered interventions;
the restoration of the ancient territorial structures, such as the original harmony between the fortified castle and the hill behind it and the recovery of the terraces, as they once were in the monastic Cloister.
Thanks to the attention it has received recently, as it had in times past, the Monastero is today an integral and important part of Buggiano Castello and contributes greatly to enhancing the village's evocative atmosphere. The property lends itself to many potential uses today: a hotel, resort, clinic or a facility dedicated to wellness, high-quality condominiums or private residences, etc. Its history, its configuration, and the privileged position it enjoys in terms of geography and climate make Monastero del Castello extremely interesting as well as unique. The property also has a small chapel annexed to it. The garden, with sloping terraces, is surrounded by walls and also two towers, which date back to the tenth century with the working clock built in 1510. Note: additional historical documentation is available upon request.

Building layout

Building layout

  • 001
  • 002
  • 003
  • 004
  • 005
  • 006
  • 007
  • 008
  • 009
  • 010
  • 011
  • 012
  • 013
  • 014
  • 015
  • 016
  • 017
  • 018
  • 019
  • 020
  • 021
  • 022
  • 023
  • 024
  • 025
  • 026
  • 027
  • 028
  • 029
  • 030
  • 031

Monastero today
The monastery before restoration

Monastero today

  • 00
  • 01
  • 03
  • 04
  • 06
  • 08
  • 09
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 25
  • 27
  • 28
  • 29
  • 30
  • 31
  • 32
  • 33
  • 35
  • 36
  • 41
  • 42
  • 43
  • mona-aggiunta-1
  • mona-aggiunta-2
  • mona-aggiunta-5
  • mona-aggiunta-6

The monastery before restoration

  • DSC02993
  • DSC02997
  • DSC03008
  • DSC03009
  • DSC03012
  • DSC03051
  • DSC03056
  • DSC03067
  • DSC03068
  • DSC03072-copia
  • DSC03083
  • DSC03103
  • DSC03123
  • DSC03161
  • DSC03164
  • DSCN1857
  • DSCN1878-copia
  • DSCN1892-copia
  • Foto-aerea-BN
  • [da10-12-2002_Scheda1]Pict0033
  • [daFoto01-12-2002]Pict0007
  • [daFoto01-12-2002]Pict0012
  • [daFoto01-12-2002]Pict0020
  • zz00
  • zz000
  • zz001
  • zz0010
  • zz0011
  • zz0012
  • zz0013
  • zz0014
  • zz0015
  • zz0017
  • zz0019
  • zz002
  • zz0020
  • zz0021
  • zz0022
  • zz0023
  • zz0024
  • zz0025
  • zz0026
  • zz0027
  • zz0028
  • zz0029
  • zz003
  • zz0030
  • zz0031
  • zz0032
  • zz0033
  • zz0034
  • zz0036
  • zz0039
  • zz0040
  • zz005
  • zz006
  • zz007
  • zz008
  • zz009
  • zz04